Disabled Students

Disabled Students' Allowances (DSA) can, if eligible, cover extra disability-related costs or expenses you have while studying a higher education course.

You can apply for a Disabled Students' Allowance (DSA) if you are from the UK and have a disability, long-term health condition, mental health condition or specific learning difficulty such as dyslexia or dyspraxia.

To apply for DSA, you need to complete the application form for your funding body. This will either be who provides your student loan or based on your home address if you are a self-funded student. You can find the application forms and also check their current eligibility criteria and what you could receive below:

If approved, your funding body will advise you on your next step e.g. having a DSA Needs Assessment and they will give you information on how to find an Assessment Centre and how to book an assessment. We have an Assessment Centre, which is based at the Student Support Centre, 50 Park Place, Cathays.

EU and International students

DSAs are only available to students who are ordinarily resident in the UK. If you're ordinarily resident in another country then you will not qualify for DSAs. If you're an international or EU student, please contact your home government for information about accessing funding. Your sponsors may provide an additional grant to cover any extra expenses you have because of your disability.