There are some really exciting things going on in the Students’ Union in Freshers 2020 and we want you to help us make it happen! As part of a new project we’re looking for friendly, enthusiastic people to join the Welcome Team to introduce over 6,000 new students to the University.
It’s both exciting and daunting to arrive at a new University and we need you to help make it the best experience ever. If you’re willing to get involved and make a difference, then we want to hear from you.
Joining the Welcome Team is an amazing opportunity to volunteer your time to make a huge difference to the student experience, make loads of friends and have new experiences that will stay with you forever. You’ll also have a huge positive impact on your CV while doing it.
What are we asking for?
Joining the Welcome Team is a totally manageable commitment and we are ensuring the safety of volunteers, students and staff alike are of HIGH priority (see full risk assessment at end).
We recognise that you'll have other things going on in Freshers. We ask everyone on the team to:
- Give 15 - 20 hours of flexible shift commitment during the Freshers.
- Be available and commit to training
- Show enthusiasm and passion for the Students' Union, the student experience or student welfare.
- There is the expectation of some socially distanced, fully risk assessed face-to-face presence on campus for students (if you feel unable to commit to this, please don’t worry...you can opt-in to remote only provision!)
We need you more than ever this year - we want to ensure all students have the experience and welcome they need...and who better to do this than other students!
What will you be doing?
We're asking for 15 - 20 hours of your valuable time in September to help us make Freshers' Week 2021 amazing. You'll be able to get involved with:
- Welcoming new students to Cardiff in Halls
- Supporting and/or leading all Give it a Go Trips and Tours
- Helping our full-time staff at the Sports Clubs and Societies Fairs
- Promoting all of our Give it a Go activities to students across campus
- Having courageous, socially distanced conversations with new students
- Championing our support and welfare services
- Promoting all of the fantastic services, events and activities that we offer
- Telling everyone how amazing the Students’ Union is!
What’s in it for you?
You’ll be welcomed into the Students’ Union Family and become an integral and valued part of our exciting Freshers plans. As well as a warm feeling on the inside, you’ll also get:
- A position of responsibility and a branded t-shirt and lanyard
- An accredited Students’ Union Certificate of Contribution;
- Access to a range of exciting socially distanced/virtual socials and events
- Training from experienced Students’ Union staff;
- An extra-degree CV reference, and;
- A range of free leadership courses (Team Leaders).