Skills Development Service
Every moment you spend not developing yourself, someone out there is getting better than you.
The Skills Development Service is supported by Teach First
Having high-powered technical skills or an advanced and specialised education are not all it takes to land a good job in today’s employment market. High on the list are people who can communicate effectively, think critically and logically, and who continue to learn throughout their lives. Employers are also on the lookout for those who can demonstrate positive attitudes and behaviours, lead with responsibility and are adaptable. And, finally, employers want people who can work well with others and be productive members of a team.
The Skills Development Service (SDS) exists therefore to provide a range of training courses and sessions designed to build confidence, improve transferable skills and increase employability to learners interested in developing for their future after graduation with the added bonus of gaining certification.
What we will provide for you:
- Opportunities to increase your confidence and employability
- Help develop your skills and attributes
- Opportunities to attend training which employers really value before you become employed
- A choice of University and externally certified courses
- Chance to meet new friends
- Helping you to stand out from the crowd
- Your certification appearing on your graduation transcript
What we expect from you:
- Keeping your word: When you book a session - commit to it. If you know that will be impossible, give us as much notice as possible
- Being punctual: Show up on time (or early)
- Actively take part in the sessions you attend
- Keeping a log of those sessions which you have attended
Current arrangements due to the Coronavirus outbreak
The team are working from home until further notice and will be offering many of the workshop titles in digital learning format.
The courses offered by the Skills Development Service are broken down into four schemes:
Certificate of Personal Development (CPD)
View dates at https://www.cardiffstudents.com/whatson/skills/
Diploma of Professional Development in Leadership (DPD)
Externally Provided Courses and Sessions
Booking a Session
Since experiencing a substantial set back in the rejection from what I had considered to be my dream job, I feel as though the SDS has given me access to training which has truly enabled me to evaluate my strengths and weaknesses and allow me to reconsider how I can use my capabilities to suit me best.
Book a session
If you have any queries please visit our Frequently Asked Questions page first. Contact us if your question hasn't been answered there.
The Skills Development Service reserves the right to cancel, postpone or substitute workshops especially when less than 6 have signed up to a particular one. Prior notice will always be given to those who have enrolled on the workshops affected.
A guide on how to join and sign up for sessions