About My Role
Nick represents all postgrad students on the issues and policies that affect them. Nick will be continuing to work towards building a postgraduate community at Cardiff University.
Shwmae bawb! I’m Nick, your Vice President Postgraduate Students! My job is to represent the 10,000+ postgraduate students at Cardiff University. I represent postgraduates on all courses, from postgraduate certificates and diplomas to Master’s degrees and PhDs.
I grew up in the countryside on the south coast of England near Bournemouth and moved to Cardiff in 2014 when I started my Undergrad in Maths and Physics. This is currently my 6th year here in Cardiff!
I was then elected to the Vice President Welfare role after my undergraduate degree and then studied for a Masters in Operational Research, Applied Statistics, and Financial Risk in the School of Maths before taking this office.
My involvement with the Union started in the SHAG (Sexual Health Awareness Group) Student Led Service and MathSoc Committees during my second year, where I then dived into the other opportunities available, including being part of: Give it a go; Student Mentoring; my school’s Student Staff Panel; and Student Senate, which I chaired last year.
The postgraduate community is so diverse, with huge variety in age, educational and social experiences, and I will endeavour to make sure the distinctive challenges these students face are not overlooked.
My priorities for this year include:
- More affordable summer halls options for Postgraduates
- Continuing the work for employment rights and support for PhD students paid to teach in the university
- Continuing the work to build a vibrant postgraduate and mature students community
- Encourage PGR students to join UCU
- Link up Jobshop with the University’s Student Support services, where an allocation of jobs is given to those students in financial distress