Alex is 22 years old. Having graduated from the University of Sheffield (2015) in Politics and Philosophy, he has since studied on the Graduate Diploma in law, from September 2016. Alex grew up in Stroud, Gloucestershire, and attended Marling Sixth Form, where he studied A-Levels in Politics, Philosophy and History.
Alex is incredibly interested in health and fitness, and he also has a great interest in rugby. During his time at the University of Sheffield, he played at varsity level and was also part of the coaching team for the Sheffield Medics RFC. Since being in Cardiff, he has been a part of the WRU pro-bono scheme. As a result, he has been able to offer legal advice to local, non-professional rugby teams.
The role of Vice President Postgraduate is still in its infancy, with Alex becoming only the second person to take on the role. Alex decided to run for the role in the 2015 Students’ Union Elections, he was elected and began his term in June 2016.
Alex’s priorities for the year include:
- Reward returning students by discounting postgraduate study.
- Lobby schools to offer financial incentives for Cardiff graduates who return to Cardiff University for postgraduate study.
- Ensure that postgraduates who teach within the university receive a fair wage.
- Provide a live library headcount on the intranet displace desk space availability.
- Obtain fair pay for PGR students.
- Increase the number of social events that the Union holds for postgraduate students, in order to ensure that the postgraduate community is able to feel greater unification.
What Is Working On?