Niko is 20 years old and has just finished his 3rd year of his Medical Degree at the Heath park Campus. He is taking a year out to be an Elected Officer and will be returning to complete his degree after his time in office. Niko was born and grew up in Pangbourne, a village on the river Thames in Berkshire, and attended Reading Boys Grammar School where he studied A-levels in Maths, Further Maths, Biology and Chemistry and an AS in Physics.
Whilst at school, Niko was a keen athlete and trained with the GB Rowing Start Programme, during which time he won National Silver in a single scull. He also enjoys many other sports, especially racket sports and swimming. Whilst at school he also developed an interest in drama, public speaking and debating.
Niko stopped rowing and took up Ballroom and Latin dancing with Cardiff University DanceSport midway through his first year at Uni. After three months with the club, Niko ran for President and, after being elected, carried out the duties of this role during his 2nd and 3rd years. Niko’s dancing has progressed rapidly and he now represents the club’s A team. He has also been part of several Healthcare Societies including the Paediatric Society and Sexpression.
Niko decided to run for VP Heath Park during his third year and was successfully elected to the role with his Sherlock Holmes inspired campaign ‘Holmes for Heath’. He began his term in office in June 2016.
Niko’s main priorities include:
- Getting more union services at the Heath, including expanding the Heath Hub and advertising it more effectively.
- Tackling placement problems, as well as improving clarity regarding placement costs.
- Improving student support, especially mental health services at the Heath.
- Further involvement of all clubs and societies at the Heath.
- Increasing the size of the Heath Fayre to help Students get involved.
What Is Working On?