Medical and Dental Care at University

Registering with a GP

When you get to University you must register with a GP near to where you are living. This is called the catchment area.

In order to use the services of a GP surgery, you will need to be registered with them. This process can take some time, so it is very important to do this before you get ill or need medication.

As GP’s have catchment areas, you will need to find a local GP surgery and contact them to ask about registering with them. You will normally have to complete a registration form and provide ID and proof of address.

You can also contact the NHS Wales Business Service Centre on +44 (0)1495 332 000, who will allocate you a GP.

Park Place GP Practice

Students living in the catchment area (a map of the catchment area is available at 37 Park Place) are invited to register with the surgery.

Park Place Surgery is open Monday to Friday 12:30-15:30 and operates an appointment system, although new patients may call in between to collect registration documents. For any inquiries relating to advice or appointments please call in or telephone +44 (0)29 2087 0660 during opening hours; out of hours registered patients need to telephone +44 (0)29 2046 1100.

Community Pharmacy

In the UK you can quickly access free medical advice from your community pharmacist, often much faster than speaking to your GP. If you need to speak to your GP, then your pharmacist will tell you.

In Wales, a number of pharmacies operate the common ailments scheme, which allows anyone to go to a pharmacy and get certain medications for free, paid for by the NHS.

When using this service, you will need to speak to the pharmacist, who will diagnose and provide treatments at their discretion.

If you are suffering from something, it is often best to speak to a pharmacist before trying to book a GP appointment.

Pharmacists in the UK can also provide many other services, such as;

  • Help to stop smoking
  • Emergency contraception (morning after pill).
  • Drinking less
  • Losing weight
  • Advice on new medicines
  • Needle exchange and substance misuse support

To find your nearest pharmacy, you can use the NHS Services finder. Please note, that not every pharmacy can provide all the services listed above. 

Registering with a dentist

There is no requirement to register with a dentist, but many people prefer to do so. If you need dental care, then you should ring a dentist and ask if they have any available appointments.

When you call the dentist you can ask whether they provide NHS care or not.

If the dentist that you call is full or doesn’t provide NHS care, then you can contact the dental helpline in your local health board area, or see the Find an NHS Dentist page on the NHS website.

For Cardiff, the Telephone number available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week - Cardiff 02920 444500

NHS Care is almost always cheaper than private care, but many dentists do not accept NHS patients or provide NHS treatment.

Urgent Dental Care

If you think you need urgent dental care, then you should call the emergency dental helpline for your local area. Cardiff, Telephone number available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week - Cardiff 02920 444500

You will be triaged and you may be directed to the emergency dental clinics at the Dental Hospital or St David’s Hospital.

You may also be booked into a primary care dentist if this is more appropriate.

You will be given advice on managing the symptoms of your problem over the phone.


Visit an optician or GP if you have concerns about your vision.

The NHS recommends an eye test at least every 2 years, or more often if recommended by your optician.

If you are experiencing any issues with your eyes, or if you are not sure who to speak to about your eyes, you can use the NHS Direct Eye problems checker.

This guide will tell you who the best person to speak to is, based on your symptoms.

Sexual Health

For more information on sexual health, including where you can get free contraception and available sexual health services in Cardiff, please see our Sexual Health page.

Mental Health

For more information on mental health, including what additional support at University, please see our Mental Health page.

Contact Student Advice
+44 (0)2920 781410