We appreciate that study spaces are particularly important to our students; here are a couple of study spaces available to you that might get you out of your bedroom:
We appreciate that everyone has a different approach when it comes to studying, and Cardiff University has a range of spaces that accommodate a variety of learning styles! From silent areas to social study spaces, it’s good to make yourself familiar with the options available to you throughout the year! Here are some of the study spaces and libraries located around the Cathays and Heath Park Campus.
Social Study Spaces
- The Students’ Union has study spaces available across Y Plas and the Food Court on Level 2 of the Students’ Union building, as well as the new seating area located in the Welcome Centre.
- The Lounge in the Students’ Union is a study and social space located on Level 3 of the Students’ Union building; this space is a 24/7 space.
- The Centre for Student Life is located on Park Place opposite Main Building. It is open during term time, Monday to Friday 08:00-20:00 and Saturday 10:00-16:00. Here you will find lots of open-plan social study spaces right in the heart of the Cathays campus.
- Talybont Social Centre is a recently refurbished communal space offering Eduroam wireless, 24-hour access 7 days a week, individual and group study pods, table tennis and a pool table. The Talybont Social Centre is situated on the Talybont North site, opposite the reception building at Southgate House. Access to the Talybont Social Centre is gained through scanning your resident's Photo ID card at the entrance.
- Several academic buildings have café spaces which can also be utilised for studying and can be a great option in between lectures and seminars. Buildings with spacious study cafes include Sir Martin Evans, Julian Hodge, and John Percival have a café. It’s important to note that all university cafés and restaurants are now cashless.
- Cardiff University libraries are littered around the both the Cathays and the Heath Park campus’ and provide a number of silent and quiet study spaces. In most locations, there are a range of study spaces, including those with desk space, electrical sockets, height adjustable desks and open access PCs.
- Study spaces are now available in all our libraries without booking in advance.
- Library group rooms allows you to find and book group study rooms in libraries across the University. Students can book a group room for between 1 and 8 people (depending on location) up to one month in advance. Bookings are restricted to 2 hours per day per person.
- Find a Library can provide further information on the facilities and opening hours of university libraries.
- Aberconway Library - Based in the Aberconway Building and hosts information resources in business, economics, and transport.
- Archie Cochrane Library - Based in Penarth, the Archine Cochrane Library contains collections on medicine, surgery, nursing, allied health, psychiatry and psychology. This is not to be confused with the Health Library which is based on Heath Park Campus.
- Architecture Library - Based on the 2nd floor of the Bute Building.
- Arts and Social Sciences Library (ASSL) - At the end of Colum Drive in Cathays, the ASSL contains collections on humanities, languages, psychology, social sciences, Welsh, and Celtic studies. The ASSL is open 24/7.
- Brian Cooke Library - Based in the depths of the University Dental Hospital, the Brian Cooke Library contains the collections for the School of Dentistry. The library is located on the 4th floor of the Dental Hospital.
- Bute Library - Based on the first floor of the Bute Building, this library is host to collections for geography, journalism, media studies, pharmacy, planning and social sciences.
- Central Square Library - Based in Central Square behind Cardiff Central station, this library holds resources for the School of Journalism, Media, and Culture. This library is only available to staff and students of the School of Journalism, Media and Culture due to restricted building access. Items from this library can be requested using LibrarySearch to be collected from any university library.
- European Documentation Centre – Located in the Guest Building, Colum Drive, the Centre is a major source of information and expertise about the institutions, activities, and policies of the European Union (EU), the countries of Europe, and the wider Europe.
- Health Library - Located in the Cochrane Building at the Heath Park Campus, the Health Library contains collections on nursing, midwifery, allied health, medicine, and medical and biological sciences.
- Julian Hodge Study Zone – Located on the 2nd floor of the Julian Hodge building, this study zone gives you access to networked PC’s and study desks with sockets for you to use your own devices.
- Law Library - Located on the 1st floor of the ASSL, the Law library contains sources on law, optometry, and professional legal training.
- Music Library - The Music Library provides learning resources, research environment, and customer-focused services to support excellence within the School of Music.
- Postgraduate Study Zone at Cathays Park – Located in the Guest Building on Colum Drive, the Postgraduate Study Zone provides social and study facilities for both taught and research postgraduate students. A valid Postgraduate Cardiff University ID card is required to access the building at all times.
- Postgraduate Study Zone at Heath Park – Located on the second floor of Main Hospital Building, the Postgraduate Study Zone provides social and study facilities for both taught and research postgraduate students.
- Science Library - Situated on the first floor of the Main Building, the Science library contains collections on biosciences, chemistry, earth and environmental sciences. The library has a variety of silent, quiet and social zones with range of study spaces.
- Senghenydd Library - Based on Senghenydd Road, a stone’s throw away from the Students' Union, the Senghenydd Library contains collections for the School of Mathematics and Continuing and Professional Education.
- Special Collections and Archives - Situated on the lower ground floor of the ASSL.
- Trevithich Library – Located on the first floor of the Trevithick building on Newport Road, this Library provides information resources for engineering, computer science and informatics, and physics and astronomy. The library has a variety of silent, quiet, and social zones.
Contact Student Advice
+44 (0)2920 781410