We appreciate that study spaces are particularly important to our students, and that sometimes the choice and range of study spaces can seem quite sparse, particularly in light of the pandemic. Here are a couple of study spaces available to you that might get you out of your bedroom:
- The Students’ Union’s Study Caffi is now open. The Study Zone stretches across Y Plas and the Food Court on Level 2 of the Students’ Union building. To keep up to date with the opening times of other Students’ Union spaces in line with Welsh Government guidance, please refer to this webpage.
- Most Cardiff University libraries will be open for use, in line with Welsh Government guidance. Cardiff University libraries are littered around the city campus and provide a number of silent or quiet study spaces. In most locations, there are a range of study spaces, including those with desk space, electrical sockets, height adjustable desks and open access PCs.
Please note, study spaces or PCs are only currently available if you have booked in advance. You can book a maximum of 2 study sessions per day, and you can book up to 7 days in advance. Follow the instructions on this page to book a study space in the University.
- Aberconway Library - Based in the Aberconway Building and hosts information resources in business, economics and transport.
- Archie Cochrane Library - Based in Penarth, the Archine Cochrane Library contains collections on medicine, surgery, nursing, allied health, psychiatry and psychology. This is not to be confused with the Health Library which is based on Heath Park Campus.
- Architecture Library - Based on the 2nd floor of the Bute Building.
- Arts and Social Sciences Library (ASSL) - At the end of Colum Drive in Cathays, the ASSL contains collections on humanities, languages, psychology, social sciences, Welsh and Celtic studies.
- Brian Cooke Library - Based in the depths of the University Dental Hospital, the Brian Cooke Library has information services to support students in the School of Dentistry.
- Bute Library - Based on the first floor of the Bute Building, this library is host to collections for geography, journalism, media studies, pharmacy, planning and social sciences.
- Central Square Libary - Based in Central Square behind Cardiff Central station, this library holds resources for the School of Journalism, Media and Culture.
- European Documentation Centre - Colum Drive, the Centre is a major source of information and expertise about the institutions, activities and policies of the European Union (EU), the countries of Europe, and the wider Europe.
- Health Library - Located in the Cochrane Building, the Health Library contains collections on nursing, midwifery, allied health, medicine and medical and biological sciences.
- Law Library - Located on the 1st floor of the ASSL, the Law library contains sources on law, optometry and professional legal training.
- Music Library - The Music Library provides learning resources, research environment, and customer-focused services to support excellence within the School of Music.
- Science Library - Situated on the first floor of the Main Building, the Science library contains collections on biosciences, chemistry, earth and environmental sciences.
- Senghenydd Library - Based on Senghennydd Road, a stones throw away from the Students' Union, the Senghennydd Library contains collections for the School of Mathematics and Continuing and Professional Education.
- Special Collections and Archives - Sitauted on the lower ground floor of the ASSL.
- Trevitich Library - Located on Newport Road, the Trevithick Library provides information resources for engineering, computer science and informatics, and physics and astronomy.
- Velindre University NHS Trust Library - The library is the only specialist oncology library service in Wales and is situated on the ground floor of the Cancer Research Wales Building at Velindre Hospital.
- Talybont Social Club is a recently refurbished communal space offering Eduroam wireless, 24 hour access 7 days a week, individual and group study pods, table tennis and a pool table. The Talybont Social Centre is situated on the Talybont North site, opposite the reception building at Southgate House. Access to the Talybont Social Centre is gained through scanning your resident's Photo ID card at the entrance.
Contact Student Advice
+44 (0)2920 781410