Log in

Frequently Asked Questions

For an immediate answer before emailing, check whether we've already answered your question below. If we haven't answered your question please email advice@cardiff.ac.uk and we'll get back to you as soon as we can.


I need an extension on my coursework. What can I do?

The University will generally only grant extensions on coursework if students have extenuating circumstances.

Use the link below to access information and guidance for submitting extenuating circumstances.


I think I might fail an exam. What can I do?

If you fail an exam the University will require you to resit. All resit exam grades will be capped at the pass mark unless you have extenuating circumstances which have been accepted by your academic school.   

The sooner you tell your academic school about your extenuating circumstances, the more likely they are to be accepted. Students who submit extentuating circumstances after sitting exam or receiving a mark, will have to demonstrate good reason why they did not tell the University before the exam.

Use the link below to access information and guidance for submitting extenuating circumstances.


How do I submit extenuating circumstances?

You must report extenuating circumstances directly to your academic school. This must be done at the earliest opportunity. If you submit extenuating circumstances after an assessment deadline or exam you will have to show good reason why you did not inform the University when you first had the chance.

Use the link below to access information and guidance for submitting extenuating circumstances.


You will need to complete a form and send it to the appropriate contact within the school with any appropriate evidence.

You will need to contact your Academic School to find out the deadline for reporting extenuating circumstances as this may differ depending on your school.

Who do I submit my extenuating circumstances form to?

The contact for accepting extenuating circumstances will vary between academic schools. We have made a full list of extenuating circumstances contacts and added them to the extenuating circumstances section of our website for your convenience. Use the link below to find the list.

I am unhappy with my mark or grade. Can I appeal?

You have the right to challenge any summative grades or marks using the Academic Appeals Procedure if you believe there has been an error in the Board’s decision.

You can submit an appeal if you have:

  • received a results letter, about the assessments you wish to appeal, in the last 28 days
  • evidence to support your appeal (unless it is a factual error)
  • grounds to appeal:
    • Arithmetical or other error of fact in your published results
    • A defect or irregularity in the conduct, the written instructions or written advice relating to an assessment (either unknown to the Board or where the Board has taken inappropriate action)
    • Extenuating circumstances unknown to the Board where you have good reason why you did not report/provide evidence at the time of the Board; or known to the Board where they have acted unreasonably

To appeal, you should log in to your Student Record via SIMS and click on the ‘manage/submit an appeal’ link. Complete the online form and include all of the evidence that you wish to be considered alongside your appeal.

We would encourage you to talk to an adviser in Student Advice. Use the link below to access information and guidance on the appeals procedure before you do this.


I have been accused of Unfair Practice. What should I do?

If you have been accused of unfair practice in an exam or piece of coursework you will be subject to the Unfair Practice Procedure.

We would encourage you to talk in confidence to an adviser in Student Advice.

Use the link below to access information and guidance on the Unfair Practice Procedure before you do this.


I have submitted an appeal to the University but it is taking too long to process.

Generally the University should complete the processing of an academic appeal within 90 calendar days.

If they have exceeded this timescale, we would suggest contacting them directly to ask for an update on your case and explaining that you are unhappy with the delay.

Cardiff University Student Cases
 +44 (0)29 2087 6628

If you are unhappy with, or you do not receive a reply, there are two things you can do with respect of a delay which exceeds 90 days.

1. Follow the complaints procedure.

More information is available here: https://www.cardiffstudents.com/advice/complaints/university/. 90 calendar days for an appeal resolution is the guideline issued by the OIA Good Practice Framework, which the University aspires to comply with. Academic regulation 4.3 of the University Academic Appeals Procedure actually requires the University inform a student of a negative outcome within 38 calendar days of submission.

2. Make a complaint to the OIA - the Office of Independent Adjudicator for Higher Education.

More information is available here: http://www.oiahe.org.uk/. Again we would suggest taking independent advice from us before engaging with this option. The OIA usually only engages with students who have exhausted interal processes and have received a 'completion of procedures' letter, but they have said they would accept a complaint where the delay in reaching this point was unreasonable.


My Landlord/ Letting Agent is has not returned my deposit

Landlords/agents withholding deposits from students is very common. Your landlord/agent should have protected your deposit in one of three tenancy deposit protection (TDP) schemes.

If you have given your landlord/agent reasonable opportunity to return your deposit but they have chosen not to or have become unresponsive, you are best approaching your TDP scheme directly and requesting the deposit be returned through them. Most TDP schemes will give you three months from the end of your tenancy agreement to request the return of your deposit.

If you have confirmed that your landlord/agent has not protected your deposit in one of the three schemes then you can file for court proceedings against the landlord/agent directly and will almost certainly win.

If you landlord/agent has protected the deposit in a scheme, all you need to do is work out which one it is and follow the processes and procedures on their website to secure the return of your deposit.

The process will give the landlord/agent the opportunity to dispute the deposit return and then the process will require you to provide a written submission to dispute the landlord/agent deductions.

I am looking for accommodation but I am struggling to find somewhere

University Halls of Residence

The University has a range of residences to suit individual preferences and budgets.

Could I suggest following this link to find out more: http://www.cardiff.ac.uk/study/accommodation

Private Student Halls

There are a number of organisations providing accommodation for students in Cardiff.  If you google search for “Cardiff Student Accommodation” a number of options will come up for you.

We advise that once you have found a residence you think might be suitable to telephone them as soon as possible as most private halls will having waiting lists. The fees for private hall of residence maybe be higher than those offered by Cardiff University.  The fees start at around £119 per week and are usually inclusive of Wi-Fi and fuel. You will normally sign a contract for a full academic year.

Private Rented Accommodation

An alternative to halls accommodation is to share a house with other students in the private rented sector.

In a shared house you would normally be in a joint assured shorthold tenancy with other students. This means that you and the other students will all be named on the same contract and you will share the rent with the other tenants. An important point to note with joint contracts is that you will all be responsible for paying the whole rent until the tenancy ends. For example, you find a house with four bedrooms for £1200 per month; although you each agree to pay £300, if anyone does not pay their share, all four tenants are liable for the shortfall.

Shared accommodation starts at about £270 per calendar month and the highest amount you should expect to pay would be around £350 per calendar month. It is often the case that bills are not included in the rent when sharing privately rented accommodation. We recommend you allow about £50 per month to cover the cost. 

I’ve received a fine from the council for leaving my bin out

The council will collect your waste free of charge but expect you to follow certain rules. Recycling and food waste will be collected once a week. Recycling should be placed in green bags issued by the council (also available at Cardiff University Students Union) and food waste should be placed in food bags, inside the brown food bin. General waste is ordinarily collected every 2 weeks and should be placed in your black wheelie bin or the red and white striped bags depending on what the council has issued you.

Waste should not be put out earlier than 4:30pm the day before collection and bins must be brought back in no later than 9am the day after collection. Not following these rules can be classed as littering. As littering is a criminal offence, the council can issue a fixed penalty notice (a fine) of £100.

The bad news is, there is no appeals process for receiving a fine for littering. The council issue the fine or the fixed penalty notice as an alternative to court action. You can choose not to pay the fine, however the council are likely to continue with a court action against you.

If the council proves their case, this can result in you being liable for costs that exceed the original fine of £100.

Though there is no appeal process, it is important that you dispute the fine if any of the information is incorrect. If the letter is addressed to someone who does not live at the property, let the council know. If in any doubt, please feel free to contact Student Advice.

Health & Wellbeing

Who can I speak to about mental health issues?

There are a number of services available to students who feel they are suffering with mental health issues.

Mental Health Advisers

Please access the link below to see how you may benefit from contacting mental health advisers in the university.



If you are experiencing personal, emotional or psychological issues which are impacting on your mental health, you may wish to access the universities counselling and wellbeing services.

Some of the most common things that students go to counselors to address are:

  • academic problems, including loss of motivation
  • anxiety
  • bereavement
  • depression
  • difficulties with sexuality
  • eating disorders
  • loneliness, or homesickness
  • low, or lost, self- confidence
  • sexual problems
  • stress.

If you wish to speak to a counselor, please see the link below.



This is a student-led, confidential listening service which offers emotional supper and information for students in Cardiff.

Contact: 02920870555


The line is available 8pm-8am.


General Student Questions

I have lost my Student ID card, where do I get a replacement?

If you have lost your student card you can approach the University Security Centre for a replacement. There is a small charge for lost/misplaced cards.

Cardiff University Security Centre
70 Park Place
CF10 3AT

If you have any further questions with regards to ID cards please note the contact details below.

ID Card Enquiries
+44 (0)29 2087 4319

Where do I go for lost property?

Lost Property in the Students’ Union

If you suspect you’ve lost property in the Students’ Union you can head to the second floor security desk to ask if it has been handed in. You can email SSUUS@cardiff.ac.uk (General Students’ Union Security Enquiries) or CorneliusD2@cardiff.ac.uk (Students’ Union Concierge) or call 02920 781412.

Lost Property in the University

For lost property enquiries for the University in general (i.e. outside the Students’ Union, on University grounds) you are best directing your enquiry at University Security. Details here: ControlRoom@Cardiff.ac.uk, +44 (0)29 2087 4444, 70 Park Place, CF10 3AT.

Where can I get a copy of my council tax exemption certificate?

You can request a copy of your council tax exemption letter online via SIMS online.

If requesting a letter via SIMS does not work, students can contact Student Records in University Registry to request a certificate via ASK Cardiff. Opening an enquiry on ASK Cardiff would be the easiest way to contact Registry for this purupose. Registry aim for a turn-around time of 3 working days.

Useful Contacts

Cardiff University General Enquiries (ASK Cardiff)
+44 (0) 2920 874000

Cardiff University Registry
+44 (0)29 2087 6211

If all of the above fail, students can visit the University Registry, 2nd Floor McKenzie House, Monday-Friday 9:00-16:30 or email PhillipsCG@cardiff.ac.uk.


I need Financial Assistance

If your enquiry relates to the Financial Assistance Programme (also known as the Hardship Fund or Financial Contingency Fund) or any issue related with student finance, your best source of support will be the Advice and Money Service in Student Support within the University. The Students' Union will always be happy to speak to you but an application for financial assistance will ultimately have to be made to Student Support, so it may be worth directing your enquiry to them. I've included their details below for your reference.

Student Support - Advice & Money Team
+44 (0)29 2087 4844

Useful Contacts

Academic Schools

Cardiff Business School
+44 (0)29 2087 4674

School of Biosciences
+44(0)29 2087 4974

School of Chemistry
+44 (0)29 2087 4023

School of Computer Science and Informatics
+44 (0)29 2087 4812

School of Dentistry
+44 (0)29 2074 2468

School of Earth & Ocean Sciences
+44 (0)29 2087 4830

School of Engineering
+44 (0)29 2087 4716

School of English, Communication & Philosophy
+44 (0)29 2087 6049

School of Geography and Planning
+44 (0)29 2087 4022

School of Healthcare Sciences
+44 (0)29 2068 7689

School of History, Archaeology & Religion
+44 (0)29 2087 4470

School of Journalism, Media and Cultural Studies
+44 (0)29 2087 4156

School of Law and Politics
+44 (0)29 2087 6705

School of Mathematics
+44 (0)29 2087 4811

School of Medicine
+44 (0)29 2068 8113

School of Modern Languages
+44 (0)29 2087 4889

School of Music
+44 (0)29 2087 4816

School of Optometry and Vision Sciences
+44 (0)29 2087 4374

School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences
+44 (0)29 2087 4151

School of Psychology
+44 (0)29 2087 4007

School of Social Sciences
+44 (0)29 2087 5179

School of Physics and Astronomy
+44 (0)29 2087 4458

School of Welsh
+44 (0)29 2087 4710

Wales Deanery (PGMDE)
+44 (0)29 2068 8026

Welsh School of Architecture
+44 (0)29 2087 4430


999 – emergency number

101 – non-emergency number

University Security
+44 (0)29 2087 4444

Non-Emergency Welfare Concern
Click here for guidance.

University Hospital of Wales
Accident and Emergency
+44 (0)29 2074 7747

NHS direct
0845 4647

Police Student Liaison Officer
PC Mike Neate
Email: Michael.Neate@south-wales.pnn.police.uk
Tel: 0292063 3420, 07584770987
Alternative Email: SwpStudentLiaisonCardiff@south-wales.pnn.police.uk
Alternative Email: William.Evans2@south-wales.pnn.police.uk

Shelter Cymru
02920 556120


Student Advice
02920 781410

Rent Smart Wales
03000 133344

Tenancy Deposit Scheme
0845 226 7837

Housing Enforcement
02920 871762

Deposit Protection Service
0844 4727 000

0844 980 0290

Fire & Rescue Service 
(home fire risk checks)
0800 169 1234

Housing Options Centre
029 20 570750

Welsh Water
0800 052 0145

Gas Safe Register
0800 408 5500

Pest Control
02920 872934

Food Safety
029 2087 1128

Noise Pollution
02920 871650

Other Advice

Connect to Cardiff (C2C) – 02920 872087

Citizens advice – 03444 77 20 20

Consumer Advice – 08454 04 05 06

Cardiff Trading Standards – 029 2087 2059

Integrated Sexual Health Clinic Cardiff – 02920 335207

Cardiff Bus – 029 2066 6444 / www.cardiffbus.com

Taxi Licensing – 02920 871651, licensing@cardiff.gov.uk

Students' Union

Student Advice
029 2078 1410

Box Office
029 2078 1458

Cardiff Student Letting
029 2078 1525

Cardiff University Enterprise
029 2078 1442

Events and Venue Hire
029 2078 1456

Give it a Go
029 2078 1411

Heath Hub
029 2068 7657

02920 781441

IT Shop
029 2078 1454

Job Shop
029 2078 1535

029 2078 1433

Sports (Athletic Union)
029 2078 1439

Skills Development Service
029 2078 1488

Student Voice
029 2078 1423

029 2078 1406

029 2078 1494


Alcoholics Anonymous
0845 7697 555

Cruse Bereavement helpline
0870 167 0677

Drug and Alcohol Helpline
0808 8082234

LGBT+ Cymru Helpline
0800 023 22 01

LGBT+ Domestic Abuse Support
Rainbow Bridge Project
0300 3031 982

02920 870 555

0845 790 9090

Sexual Assault Referral Centre (SARC)
02920 335 795

TALK (Confidential Domestic Abuse and Sexual Violence Helpline)
01443 744755


Cardiff University Security
+44 (0)29 2087 4444

Cardiff University General Enquiries
+44 (0) 2920 874000

Cardiff University Student Support Centre, Cathays Campus
+44 (0) 29 20 874844

Cardiff University Student Support Centre, Heath Park Campus
+44 (0) 02920 742070

Cardiff University International Student Support
+44 (0)29 2087 4432

Cardiff University Registry
+44 (0)29 2087 6211

Cardiff University Student Cases
+44 (0)29 2087 6628

Cardiff University Residences
+44 (0)29 2087 5199
+44 (0)29 2087 4849

Students Loan Company
0800 40501

Last Edited by Joshua Gibbs 12 January 2017