COVID-19 Health and Wellbeing

The three main symptoms for COVID-19 are;

  • A high temperature – When you place your hand on your chest or back and this feels hot. You do not need to measure your temperature
  • A new, continuous cough. This means coughing a lot more for at least an hour, or 3 or more coughing episodes in a 24-hour period
  • A loss or change to your sense of taste or smell. This means that food and drink may taste different, or things may smell different. Or you could lose the ability to taste or smell.

The NHS says that most people who have COVID-19 develop at least one of these symptoms.

If you develop one of these symptoms, then you should do the following, starting immediately;

  • Return home immediately and start to isolate. If you have face mask, you should put this on, and you should avoid using public transport. You should wash your hands regularly with alcohol gel or soap and water, and avoid touching your face.
  • You should report this through the NHS COVID-19 App and use this to book a test.
  • If you do not have the app, then you must still book a COVID-19 test online.
  • You should contact your family and friends and inform them.
  • Where possible you should contact anyone who you have been in contact with and ask them to isolate.
  • You should read the guidance on how to isolate
  • You should monitor your symptoms carefully and know what to do if you deteriorate.
  • You should know where to get help and support whilst you are isolating for your wellbeing, caring commitments, shopping and medicines.

It is very important that you book a test straight away so that if you do have COVID-19, you can be informed of this and provided with further guidance. You may also be contacted by the Local Authority Track and Trace Team.

By doing this, if anyone else is exposed then they will also be informed and able to isolate. This will help to slow the spread of the virus.

If you develop symptoms or if you receive a positive test result – You should report this to the University on SIMS. This is so the University can advise you on what to do next. You may be asked to study remotely.

You can read more about the remote study policy here.

NHS COVID-19 Testing

There are different options available for COVID-19 testing, depending on whether you have symptoms or not.

If you have symptoms, you should follow the guidance above and book an NHS Test. You must not attempt to use the Cardiff University Testing Service. You can book an NHS COVID-19 test online. Alternatively, you can call 119 (between 7am – 11pm). People with hearing or speech difficulties can call 18001119.

Cardiff University Testing

Cardiff University has a testing service which only people who are asymptomatic (do not have symptoms can access). If you have symptoms, you must book an NHS test, and you must not visit the Cardiff University Testing site. The Cardiff University testing service is available for students and staff who spend time a minimum of 1 hour per week on campus.

You should have received an email when you enrolled inviting you to book your test. By booking a test, you are helping to keep the University community safe.

The testing stations are at Cathays and Heath Park Campuses, Monday- Thursday 08.00 – 18.00, but you will not be seen unless you have booked a test.

Further information can be found on the University Intranet

If you receive a positive result from this service, you and everyone that you live with will be required to self-isolate. You will then be required to book an NHS Test.

If you receive a positive NHS Test

If you receive a positive NHS test, then you should continue to isolate and follow the guidance provided to you.

You will be contacted by the NHS Wales Test, Trace, Protect service who will ask who you have shared close proximity with in the last 2 days prior to your symptoms.

They will then contact these people and advise them to isolate. Your identity will not be revealed unless you give permission for it to be.

The members of their household will not be required to self-isolate unless they or the housemates develop symptoms.

Managing Symptoms at Home

Most people who contract COVID-19 make a full recovery and experience mild symtoms. Below is the NHS guidance on how to manage these symptoms if they occur:

  • A high temperature
    • Rest
    • Drink lots of water (more than usual) so that you stay hydrated
    • Take ibuprofen or paracetamol if you are struggling
  • A new, continuous cough
    • Avoid laying on your back, lie on your side or upright instead
    • Try a teaspoon of honey

If you are struggling with managing your symptoms, we would strongly advise you to contact a GP or pharmacist for advice. You should only do this by phone as you and members of your household should self-isolate while you recover.

If the symptoms get worse, you should seek medical help. In this case, we strongly advise you to contact the NHS 111 online Coronavirus Service,

How to self-Isolate

The Welsh Government has provided guidance for Households with Possible Coronavirus.

The main messages are;

  • If you have symptoms of COVID-19 then you must isolate for a minimum of 10 days from the day that your symptoms started. You must not go to a hospital, GP surgery, or pharmacy.
  • If you have received a positive result, then you must self-isolate for 10 days from the day that your test was taken. If you develop symptoms, then you must re-start the 10 days, and isolate for 10 days from the day you started having symptoms.
  • After 10 days, if you still have a temperature then you must continue to isolate and seek medical advice. You do not need to continue to isolate if you continue to have a cough or change to taste/smell after the 10-day period. There is further guidance on ending isolation.
  • If you live in a shared house or halls, then all household members must isolate for 14 days from the day the first person became ill, or from the day they had their tests (only if they were asymptomatic).
  • If anyone else in the house becomes ill, then they must stay at home for at least 10 days from when their symptoms appeared. There is further guidance on ending isolation.
  • If you have a positive result, then you should stay as far away from other members of the household as possible. This is particularly true if someone is shielding or high risk. 

What to do in shared accommodation when isolating

If someone has tested positive then they, and all members of the household will be required to self-isolate. You should minimise contact at all times with the person who tested positive. You should consider the following;

  • Wash door handles with antibacterial spray regularly
  • Where possible avoid communal spaces
  • Avoid close contact (less than 2m)
  • When moving through communal areas, where possible wear a mask
  • If possible, the person who tested positive should be assigned their own bathroom/toilet. If this is not possible then they should wipe down all surfaces with antibacterial spray after use.
  • The other housemates should remember that it can be frightening receiving a positive result. You should be kind and supportive – Regularly check in on them (in a socially distanced way, or through Facetime).
  • You must not leave the house except in an emergency, or to avoid harm.

Receiving Help with Groceries, Medication, Laundry or Rubbish

There is help and support available to students who are self-isolating.

University Residences

If you live in University Accommodation, then you can receive help with;

  • Food
  • Laundry
  • Rubbish
  • Maintenance issues
  • IT Services
  • Receiving Mail and Parcels

If you are living in University Residences, then you can have food delivered to your door. Through this service you can order ingredients, such as a meat, fresh food, or pasta, as well as readymade food, like burgers, burritos drinks and snacks. There is more information on the University Intranet.

Each student who is required to self-isolate will be offered a 3kg laundry wash during the period of their isolation. If they require more than 3kg then they can email

There is more information on ordering laundry on the University Intranet.

For rubbish collection, you should leave rubbish outside of your door on Monday or Thursday night for collection on Tuesday or Friday morning.

You should store these bags inside for 72 hours before placing outside for removal.

Cleaners will not visit your flat for the duration of your isolation to protect staff and other students.

If you experience a maintenance issue, then you should report this as usual. If the issue is not urgent then it will not be attended to until after the isolation period has ended. If it is urgent, then the Residences staff will advise you on what to do when staff attend. To report a maintenance issue, please click here.

IT Issues should be reported directly to the IT Service Desk. You must tell them that you are self-isolating. You can report an IT issue by clicking here.

If you receive mail, then this will be delivered to your flat by staff between 09.00 – 16.00pm Monday to Friday. There is general guidance on receiving mail, on the University Intranet.

There is also more information on the University Internet on preventing the spread of COVID-19 in halls. You can read this here.

Private Rented Accommodation

If you live in private rented accommodation, such as a shared house then you can consider the following;

  • Food – You could order food deliveries from most major supermarkets. You could also ask your friends to help you, and you should offer to return the favour if they are required to isolate, or you could post on a student community group online.
  • Medicine – If you are asking a friend to collect your prescription from a pharmacy, you should call the pharmacy to confirm that you are happy for them to do so, and to ask the pharmacist whether they are required to bring any ID.

Private Halls

We have spoken to a range of halls providers about the support that they are offering students in their private halls.

If you are required to self-isolate in private halls, we advise that you immediately contact your reception and halls manager to inform them.

We advise that you also contact them to ask what support is available to you – This could include delivery of food to your door if you order online or wellbeing check-ins.

If you are living in private halls and you are struggling them please contact us, and we can advise further.

Supporting your mental health

There is lot of information on our page dedicated to Mental Health and protecting your mental health

Returning Home

Whether you are allowed to return home, depends on the reason for going home, and whether this is a reasonable excuse.

The guidance below is taken from the Welsh Government Website;

“Are university students who live away from home expected to return home?

We are asking all students living in Wales, and all our Welsh students living outside Wales, to help us keep Wales safe by not travelling between university and home.

You should only move between your term time address and your home address if absolutely necessary, for example for work, to provide or receive care or because of concerns about your wellbeing. You should not return home for a ‘visit’ during this period. You should not travel home if you have been asked to self-isolate or have Covid-19 symptoms.”

The government has also said;

“The legal requirement is that you can’t leave the Cardiff Council area without a reasonable excuse. However, we urge people to think not only about what you can’t do because the law says so, but also about what you shouldn’t do because it could increase the spread of coronavirus and your risk of contracting coronavirus. So even though you can travel within the area, you should think about whether there are alternatives, like using the internet to shop.”

It is important to consider that there is an increasing number of students who are testing positive for COVID-19 at Cardiff University. You can read the up to date figures here.

If you do go home, then you risk carrying the virus home with you particularly if you are asymptomatic. This could put your family at risk as well as the people in your home town. (Particularly if anyone has any health conditions or anyone else in the immediate family is shielding, or in contact with anyone in this category).

Supporting Research into COIVD-19

You can make a meaningful contribution to COVID-19 research by downloading the COVID Symptom Study App. This app asks you two questions every day, whether you have had a test, and whether you have any symptoms. By giving this data, you also get exclusive access to research updates and webinars from experts.

You can also support research and keep your community safe by taking a test at the Cardiff University Testing centers if you are asymptomatic.

You can support research by taking a NHS Test if you have symptoms of COVID-19.

Please see COVID-19 Testing above

Keeping your Community Safe

The University has asked all students to adopt the Community Commitment to reduce the transmission of the virus.

“Key Principles;

  • “I will read, follow and support the University’s guidance relating to reducing the spread of coronavirus (COVID-19) for students and staff.
  • I understand that guidance will be regularly updated so I will take personal responsibility for ensuring I am up to date with the latest information. I accept the role that I have to play in making sure that the areas where I live, work, and study are as safe as they can be to the best of my abilities and knowledge.
  • I understand that this is an ever-developing situation and one which requires everyone’s ongoing attention and vigilance to understand the issues and impact created as a result of the global pandemic. I will help to support everyone in our community to ensure they have the best experience possible.
  • I will look out for those I work and learn with. I understand the importance of providing support, to help people where possible in dealing with the impact of coronavirus (COVID-19) on their lives and supporting others to help them stay engaged with their work or their academic studies. I will ensure I understand what University support is available and how I may access it for myself and others.
  • I will behave in accordance with relevant University conduct policies and the Dignity at Work and Study policy. I will focus on inclusivity and supporting everyone around me. Where appropriate and where I feel safe and able to, I will call out and positively challenge when I see others behaving inappropriately and contrary to coronavirus (COVID-19) guidance. I will raise those concerns directly with those people in an open, constructive and polite manner. Where I feel unable to safely challenge, I will raise concerns with specialist teams within the University as outlined in this Commitment.
  • If I am challenged about my behaviour I will take these requests seriously and respond in an open, positive, and respectful manner, in line with this Commitment and the Dignity at Work and Study policy. I understand that the appropriate staff and student complaint, disciplinary and grievance procedures could apply in the event of an intentional breach of this Commitment.”

If you would like to report a suspected case of misconduct by a student in relation to coronavirus (COVID-19) regulations to the University, you can email the University  on or call us on +44 (0)29 2251 1222.

If you would like to have a discussion with Student Advice confidentially before doing so, then you can email

If you would like to read more about the Community Commitment then you can do so on the University Intranet.

Further Information and Up to Date Guidance 

Every effort has been made to make sure that the guidance on this page is up to date, but the Welsh Government regularly update their guidance.

There is specific guidance for certain topics, such as repairs in your home. If you are struggling to find specific guidance, then please contact us and we will be happy to advise you further.

Contact Student Advice
+44 (0)2920 781410