Log in

Short Term Accommodation

Short-term accommodation can be much harder to find in Cardiff and most landlords/letting agents will insist on a minimum contract of six months. If you are looking for less than six months you can try the following options:

University Residences

You can contact the University's Residences Team to see if they have availability. University Residences are usually full at the start of term but vacancies may be become available as the year progresses. The University normally offer accommodation over the summer months, payable on a nightly basis as follows:

University-registered students
These rates apply to stays of 29 nights or more.
Rooms are available for:

  • £15.36 per night at Cartwright Court (shared bathroom).
  • £15.86 per night at Senghennydd Court (shared bathroom).
  • Information for Cardiff University-registered students.

Any student or prospective student
For these rates, there is a minimum two nights' stay.
Rooms are available for:

  • £19.03 per night at Senghennydd Court (shared bathroom) for Cardiff University students not studying, prospective Cardiff University students or other university students.
  • Discounted rate of £15.86 per night at Senghennydd Court (shared bathroom) for any stays over 28 nights.
  • Discounted rate of £15.86 per night at Senghennydd Court (shared bathroom) for Cardiff University-registered students who are studying throughout the duration of their stay (evidence of study including dates will be required – a student ID card is not sufficient).

Private Halls

You may be able to find short term accommodation with a private halls of residence. Most private halls providers also require you to commit to a full year but may agree to be more flexible if they have a lot of empty rooms. Detailed advice is available on our Private Halls of Residence webpage and some examples are listed below. You will need to contact each provider directly to see if they are prepared to allow a short term contract.

The Student Housing Company

Liberty Living

Fusion Student

Bridge Street Exchange



Hello Student

Fresh Student Living

Host Students


Prime Student Living

The Neighbourhood


Online Marketplaces

Websites such as Gumtree, Facebook marketplace, Spareroom or AirBnB can be used to find accommodation too. Be aware that scams do operate on these sites, so be sure to visit the property in person before you pay any money to them. Never pay in cash or cryptocurrency, be sure to identify the property owner, and do some research on market rates. If you are not 100% confident, walk away.

It is common for landlords to advertise spare rooms in their house on these sites. If you do find accommodation that means you will be living with the landlord, you will have what is known as a lodger's agreement. This type of agreement offers a lot more flexibility than a standard tenancy/occupation contract, which can make it an easier short term option. It does, however, offer less protection and the landlord can ask you to leave whenever they choose. You can ask for a written agreement detailing the amount of time you want to live there but, if the landlord chooses to evict you early, you have to leave and argue a claim for compensation.

Letting Agencies

Most student accommodation in Cardiff can be found through letting agents. Letting agents either act as a finding agent or a finding and managing agent.

  • A finding agent will show you the property, carry out reference checks and oversee the signing of the agreement. After that, you will need to deal directly with the landlord if you have any issues or concerns.
  • A managing agent will manage the property on behalf of the landlord. Although the landlord remains legally responsible for the property, you would be expected to report problems with repairs and other matters to the agency.

It is important to find out if an agency will be managing the property or not because you need to know who you will be dealing with if there are any problems.

When looking for houses/rooms, we recommend you start your search online but then visit letting agents in person. The following suggestions are 3 of many you will find online




In Cardiff, most student-focused letting agents are found on Woodville RoadAlbany RoadMundy Place and Salisbury Road. Cardiff University Students’ Union runs its own letting agency called Cardiff Student Letting, which can be found on the ground floor of the Student Union building.

You will need to contact each agency directly to see if they have any shorter term accommodation available. More detailed advice is available on our Finding Private Rented Accommodation webpage.

Ask around

You can post on social media groups to ask if anyone has a spare room for the amount of time you need it. Your course mates or societies/sports club friends may have a spare room you could stay in temporarily, and you could be doing them a favour by helping with their rent. Be aware though, that most tenancy agreements do not allow sub-letting. If someone is offering to sub-let their room to you without the landlord's agreement, they may be putting themselves in breach of contract and risk you being evicted if the landlord finds out.


Hostels can offer short term accommodation at a much more affordable rate than hotels. The accommodation is usually much more basic and bedrooms shared in a dormitory style set up. Hostels can get very busy so be sure to check availability before you travel.

Bunk House

Mrs Potts Backpackers

My Cardiff Pad

Nomad Backpacker

Nos Da Hostel & Bar

Snoozebox Cardiff

The River House

The Safehouse Hostel

Ty Rosa B&B

YHA Cardiff Central

How can we help?

When you do find somewhere to live you will usually be asked to sign a contract. Student Advice offers a free contract checking service so please let us know if you would like an Adviser to go through the paperwork with you. We can also advise on your rights and obligations in more detail if you have not rented privately in the UK before.

Please see the Student Advice housing booklet for more information on renting, and if you have any questions, contact Student Advice.

Contact Student Advice

+44 (0)2920 781410