Complaining about another Cardiff University Student


If you have suffered or are experiencing bullying, harassment, discrimination or sexual violence from another Cardiff University Student, you can report this to the University in one or both of the following ways:




If you would like to raise concerns about the conduct of another student with a view to their conduct being investigated by the University, you will need to do so under the Student Complaint Procedure.


Please see our Complaints Advice for guidance on writing your complaint.


When a concern is raised that is deemed as breaching the University's rules of behaviour, the Head of Student Cases will appoint an independent Investigating Office to consider the case. The rules covering this investigation are detailed in Cardiff University’s Student Conduct Procedure.


If you report a concern which is investigated, you may be asked to meet with the Investigating Officer as a witness to the investigation. This should be dealt with as sensitively as possible and a Student Adviser can also attend the meeting to support you. You should be informed of the outcome of your complaint and also of any action taken that may impact on you.


Anonymous complaints will only be accepted at the discretion of the Academic Registrar, where there is a compelling reason to do so and/or independent evidence to support the complaint. Student Advice can discuss making an anonymous complaint with you in more detail, if that is something you would like to consider.


For further information on possible outcomes of the Student Conduct Procedure for a student you complain about, please see our advice on Student Conduct.





If you feel you are in immediate danger or are ever concerned about your safety you should contact the police without hesitation.

  • If emergency assistance is required, you should dial 999.
  • For other concerns, you should contact 101, or the Police Student Liason Officer, on 07584 770 987, or 
  • The University’s Security Office is also available 24 hours a day on 02920 874 444
  • and the Students’ Union Security on 02920 871410





If you would like to report the conduct with a view to getting support you can contact the Disclosure Response Team.


The Disclosure Response Team (DRT) are a team of specialist University staff, trained to support students affected by harassment, hate crime, sexual violence, relationship abuse and other forms of unacceptable behaviour.


You can report to them by completing the Referral Form which can be found on the DRT Webpage. Your report can be anonymous if you prefer and all disclosures are taken seriously. If you do not want to complete the form but would still like to access support, you can email This is a confidential inbox, only accessed by members of the team.


The DRT offers practical support, including:

  • Support to manage ongoing safety concerns
  • Contact to talk about your experience and the options of support available
  • Practical advice on housing, financial and academic needs
  • Support if the person who has been violent/abusive lives or studies with you
  • Signposting to specialist support agencies



Other external sources of advice and support include

  • Live Fear Free: a government scheme offering advice and support for those experiencing domestic abuse, sexual violence and violence against women. out of hours helpline on 0808 80 10 800,
  • Refuge: Freephone 24 hour National Domestic Abuse Helpline for women and children 08082 000 247 
  • Cardiff Women’s Aid: 24/7 helpline 029 2046 0566
  • Men’s Advice Line: Advice and support for men experiencing domestic violence and abuse 0808 801 0327
  • Galop: National LGBT+ Domestic Abuse Helpline 0800 999 5428




Student Advice


Student Advice can also provide you with practical advice and support. We can advise on housing and any implications of the conduct on your study. We can support you through your complaint and advise on submitting extenuating circumstances or taking an interruption of study if that becomes necessary.


Please send a draft of your complaint to Student Advice if you would like it to be reviewed or if you have any questions.


Contact Student Advice
+44 (0)2920 781410