Advice and Representation

Seek advice and representation. Trade unions work to improve employment conditions for their members and will represent you in a dispute. 

In the UK, there are hundreds of employment laws and policies that safeguard the rights of employers and employees.


These laws include the employee’s entitlement to a minimum wage, statutory leave, parental leave and sick pay. The UK also has policies that protect other employee’s rights. These include, but are not limited to:


  • Discrimination
  • Unfair dismissal
  • People from overseas working in the UK


If you encounter problems during your employment, you may need to seek advice and representation from an independent service.


This webpage contains our guidance on who to contact for advice and representation if you feel that you have been unfairly treated in the workplace. If this applies to you and you have further questions about who you should go to for support, please let us know using the webform at the bottom of this page.


Discrimination in the Workplace


Fairness in the workplace is a vital part of employment. In a fair minded organisation:


  • Employers promote a culture that recognises diversity, addresses equality and tackles discrimination.
  • Employees feel safe and valued at work, and employers recognise and support their wider wellbeing.
  • Terms and conditions and pay levels are transparent, comply with the law and reward employees fairly.


Fairness in the workplace is supported in law by the Equality Act 2010. The aim of the Equality Act is to improve equal job opportunities and fairness for employees and job applicants. All employers should have policies in place to prevent discrimination. Under the Act, it is unlawful to discriminate against people at work because of nine areas termed in the legislation as ‘protected characteristics’ these are:



If you feel that you have been discriminated against in the workplace and it having an effect on your recruitment, pay, job prospects, progression, personal development or statutory rights, or effecting your work in other ways, you may want to make a claim at an employment tribunal. This process is outlined on the website.

Trade Unions


A trade union is an organisation with members who are usually workers. Trade Unions exist to maintain and improvement employment conditions by representing the interests and needs of its individuals. 


Everyone has the right to join a trade union and cannot be discriminated against for joining one. Unlike a students’ union where you are automatically a member, you have to pay to join a trade union, but don’t let that put you off. All trade unions offer reduced rates for young workers and students, so it can cost you as little as £1 a month. Find the right trade union for you based upon the industry you work in or your job role.


Some benefits of joining a trade union include:


  • Access to representation during any disputes or negotiations with your employer on matters such as pay, health and safety, hours of work and disciplinary proceedings.
  • Training and development opportunities.
  • Providing assistance and services to their members such as CV writing and legal and financial advice
  • Exclusive member discounts on a range of products.
  • Being able to be part of a network of young members and get involved in campaigns and social events



Citizens Advice


Citizens Advice is a free service which provides information and advice on a wide range of topics and issues including work-related matters. You can find out more about how to solve some employment matters using the guidance they have on their website


If you need more specific advice to manage any work-place challenges that you are facing, you can contact them on 03444 77 20 20.



ACAS is the Advisory, Conciliation and Arbitration Service, a Crown non-departmental public body of the Government by the UK. ACAS provides free and impartial information and advice to employers and employees on all aspects of workplace relations and employment law. 


You can contact that ACAS helpline on 0300 123 1100.


Student Advice 

Student Advice may also be able to advise on your issue. Please let us know if you are facing a work place problem using the webform below.
029 2078 1410