You’ll notice that for many of our projects you’re required to obtain something called a DBS. Without the DBS check, you won’t be able to start on your project if it requires that you have one.
You will be asked to send a scan of your documents ahead of time to be checked and then asked to book in a meeting for your DBS check. We will not be accepting drop-ins for DBS checks.
DBS checks can take up to 8 weeks. It is your responsibility to make sure you complete an application in time.
- A DBS (Disclosure and Barring Service) is a government check to see if you have any criminal convictions in the UK.
- International students may also require a criminal background check from their home country if the external project partner requires them.
- More about international criminal background checks can be found here.
- Volunteers workings on a project with children/vulnerable adults require a criminal background check by law.
- Ensures safety of our beneficiaries and volunteers.
- Makes a safe and comfortable environment.
- DBS checks for volunteers are free.
- Scan your documents (check the documents checklist for more information) and email them to Volunteering@cardiff.ac.uk
- Once we have checked them we will book you in to complete your application.
- Please be aware that drop-ins will NOT be accepted. You MUST email ahead and book an appointment.
- Download our document checklist.
- You can also read about documents you’ll need here.
- The sooner you start the process the better.
- Checks take from 2-8 weeks after they are sent off.
- You won’t be able to start on a DBS project without your DBS.
- To get your DBS checked and sent off you must send a scan of your documents to the Volunteering Team and book in a meeting.
Your DBS certificate can take from 2-8 weeks to process, it will be delivered to your current address directly. It is really important that as soon as it arrives you bring it into the Cardiff Volunteering office so we can record the result.
If you have already applied for your DBS and you have a reference number you can track your application here
More information about the DBS process can be found the on the government website.
Before completing the DBS form please familiarise yourself with DBS Code of Practice