Cardiff University Rifle Club welcomes shooters of all abilities: from those who had never picked up a rifle before, to international medallists! Rifle shooting is such a sociable sport and a fantastic way to meet new people across Cardiff and other universities! No firearms license, equipment, or prior experience is required - we have everything you need to get started or continue to develop in the sport!
We train .22LR every term-time Wednesday afternoon and Saturday at Penarth Rifle Club, which is accessible by a short train journey from Cardiff Queen Street. We have an expert coaching team formed of a former Welsh National Squad coach and experienced full club members - this allows us to train everyone to a high standard! New members will expect to be coached on the different elements of shooting technique, so, from setting up in a jacket and sling, to breathing technique and triggering, you will learn everything you need to shoot those 10s!!
CURC is one of the most successful BUCS scoring clubs in Cardiff Uni, and in 2017/18 we were the second most successful university rifle club in Britain! We enter BUCS indoors and the Welsh Indoor Championships (.22LR at 25 yards), BUCS outdoors (.22LR at 50 metres and 100 yards), and the BUCS full-bore competition (.762 from 300 up to 1000 yards). We also strive to enter additional competitions organised by the NSRA throughout the year, depending on member interest.
The competitions we enter are typically shot in divisions - an ideal way for anyone to shoot competitively for the first time as you will always be shooting against people of a similar level to you! With such a wide range of competitions throughout the year, everyone has the chance to represent Cardiff University, whatever your experience!
Socials & Trips:
CURC is a very active club and we run many in-person socials! Look out for our social events run throughout the year as they aren't to be missed! Alongside our regular casual socials, the club organises special events to coincide with the end of each semester! You can expect some fantastic food and entertainment, which is the perfect end to a long semester!
CURC recognises that some of our members do not wish to drink alcohol - that's why we also run regular non-alcoholic social events, which are just as fun! Previous socials have included mini-golf and bowling trips, and cinema visits!
In light of the recent and ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, CURC also recognises that some members will not feel comfortable taking part in our in-person events. If this is you, don't worry - we will be putting into practice our newly-found Zoom skills to offer virtual socials throughout the year! Previous events include virtual pub quizes and party games!
Without a doubt one of members' highlights of the year, in the spring semester we travel to the National Shooting Centre in Bisley, Surrey for a wonderful weekend of rifle club fun. Members have the chance to shoot a range of full-bore rifles, including AR-15s, historic Lee Enfields, and some of CURC's own target rifles at distances from 100 to 700 yards! With places always selling out fast, this is a great chance to get to know other members and try something new!
Athletic Union Awards
- 2020/21: CURC is named Club of the Year; 2020/21 President receives Covid Hero Award.
- 2018/19: 2019/20 President receives AU President's Award for Outstanding Achievement
- 2017/18: 2 Members win Sportsman and Sportswoman of the year, respectively.
Welsh Rifle Varsity
- Champions 2015/16, 2016/17, 2017/18, 2018/19, 2019/20
BUCS Indoors Competition
- 2020/21: 1st in team event, 1st in women's individual, 1st in novice event, 2nd in men's individual, 3rd in men's individual
- 2019/20: 3rd in team event
- 2018/19: 3rd in team event, 3rd in men's individual
- 2017/18/: 4th in team event, 1st in men's individual, 2nd in women's individual
- 2016/17: 4th in team event
BUCS Outdoors Competition
- 2018/19: 1st in women's triad, 2nd in quartet, 4th in team of 8, 4th in pairs
- 2017/18: 1st in quartet, 1st in men's individual, 2nd in pairs
BUCS Full-bore Competition
- 2017/18: 4th in team short-range event, 1st in women's individual
Welsh 25yd Championships
- 2019/20: University Champions (team), 2nd & 3rd in Tyro class, 2nd in womens, 1st in A-class, 1st in C class and 1st in B class.
- 2018/19: Student Champion, Ladies Champion, University Champions (team), 2nd and 3rd in individual championship, 1st and 2nd in Tyro (beginners) class
Membership is £35 for the year or £20 for a semester - significantly cheaper than most rifle clubs! After this, the only additional costs are for .22LR ammunition and any trips away. We also offer a social membership for £15.
Membership refunds are only available to those who have not made any use of their membership (e.g. have not attended a single session).
Our club is still able to proceed with activity with the current COVID restrictions. Outside of full lockdown, we can continue with activity, with social distancing and as many safety precautions in place. We have written up several safety documents, which we would like you to read before attending a session: Safety Documentation.
We recommend you join our Facebook group for all the latest updates and info about training, socials, competitions, and trips. Otherwise, you can contact our club email (firstname.lastname@example.org), our president (email@example.com), or any other committee member!
See you at the range!
Please log in to view the committee.