Yoga practise is not just about caring for the body and our physiological systems, it's also about caring for the mind.
Yoga provides us with a bag of tools, breathing practices (pranayama), mindful-movement, meditation and mindfulness which we can utilise to reduce stress, strengthen the body and all its internal systems including immunity, and support our mental well-being.
Things you could do at home:
- The aim is to practise this daily. You should try and make sure you breathe in for the same amount of time as you breathe out, so your breath is balanced.
- 5 sec inhale / 5 sec exhale
- This breathwork will leave you feeling calm and balanced
- This breathwork can be quite difficult the first few go's, so stop if you start to feel anxious, but keep trying it and over time it will become comfortable
- 'Breathing App' is a useful free app where you can set the timer, length of the inhale/exhale ratio
Join an online yoga class and practise with a teacher in your home
- We have a selection of free yoga practices on our YouTube site
- Yoga Annie
- Yoga with Rae Dwyer
- Stretchy Suzies
Meditation for 5 - 15 minutes before breakfast
- Loving Kindness
- Metta Meditation
Yoga Nidra for deep relaxation of body and mind
- Performed lying in Savasana on a mat, floor or even your bed.
- Yoga Nidra is free and can help if you are feeling overwhelmed or struggling to sleep.
Take a 10-min Savasana
- Lie on your back with your whole body relaxed after doing exercise. This will allow the your body to slow down including your heart rate and will calm the body and mind.
This article was written by a Cardiff University alumni student who now runs her own yoga business, called Yoga Annie in London.