Welcome to the Cardiff university yoga society. Our society provides a weekly timetable of a variety of yoga classes that are suitable for all abilities. We also run regular socials and yoga retreats alongside this.
Yoga creates a sense of harmony between the mind and body. The benefits can include increased feelings of calm, joy and ease; mindfulness; improved strength and balance; and reduced stiffness.
A membership will cost £65 for the academic year and provide you access to all our classes. Alternatively, you can pay as you go at £4 a class. Half memberships will be available in the second semester.
Our Autumn Timetable:
Hatha has a slow pace that works to open up space in the body, release tension and relax the mind. It has a focus on the breath, controlled movements, and stretching.
The focus on slow movement helps to feel the mind body connection. This class tends to include some meditation at the end.
Yin is a meditative practice that consists of a sequence of slow yogic postures held for up to 5 minutes at a time to allow deep tensions in the body to unravel. The practice is linked to the Chinese meridian system and helps open the meridians so more Qi/ energy can move through the body.
Lilia’s class involves a combination of Vinyasa and Hatha flow. Vinyasa yoga focuses on linking together yoga poses with a focus on breath work. The class is about celebrating body and movement.
Hatha + Vinyasa:
The combination of hatha and vinyasa works to create a sense of feeling good within oneself. There is always an intention set with a guided or visual meditation and a pranayama practise.
How to sign up for our classes:
How do I sign up for classes that are held in the Students union?
(Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday’s classes are held in the Students union.)
- If you’re a member:
- You can attend as many classes as you want. All you need to do is sign into the class when you arrive.
- However - for Kalpana's 3pm class on Mondays you must 'signup' on this page before arriving to secure your place. This is due to limited capacity for this class. Please ensure that you do this otherwise we cannot guarantee you a spot in class!
If you’re not a member:
- You will need to buy a pay as you go ticket on our SU page.
- You will also need to sign in to the class when you arrive.
How do I sign in to a class?
- This year registration will be done by a google form which can be accessed by scanning a QR code as you enter the class. You will be asked to fill out your name, student number, and whether you are a member or have bought a pay as you go ticket. The teacher will complete a head count before the class begins to ensure everyone has done this.
How do I sign up for Thursday’s Class in stretchy suzies?
If you’re a member:
- You must register for this class on our students union page before attending. There will be a limited number of people who can register online for this due to limited capacity in the studio.
If you’re not a member:
- This class will be for members only apart from when maximum capacity has not been reached on the register. In such cases pay as you go tickets will become available to non members.
It is recommended by the Students Union that we put in place a refund policy. For pay as you go tickets/ socials we will offer full refunds in the event of our cancellation, however if for any reason you can not make it to the event we will be unable to reimburse you.
See pictures below of our weekend retreat we did last March.
Please log in to view the committee.