Join the Give it a Go Team
Give it a Go would not be possible without an enthusiastic network of passionate student volunteers, committee officers and team leaders who push Give it a Go to new horizons. We're constantly looking for new people to get involved with Give it a Go and the easiest way to do it is to jump in at freshers!
Every freshers we aim to recruit 100 of the most amazing student volunteers we can find to introduce GIAG to new students. This is an amazing opportunity similar to Welcome Crew. Responsibilities include running freshers stalls, guiding city centre tours, taking students on trips around Cardiff, teaching welsh language classes, promoting our day and weekend trips and introducing new students to the Students' Union.
Volunteers all get:
- Training from experienced Students' Union staff
- Food vouchers
- Support from previous Give it a Go volunteers and staff
- Socials with other volunteers around the SU!
- A free Give it a Go t-shirt and lanyard to love and cherish forever
- A volunteer certificate
- Accredited hours to be registered with Millennium Volunteers (GwirVol)
- Oodles of experience perfect for a CV
Volunteers are asked for:
- 15 - 20 hours of flexible shift commitment during the freshers fortnight (20th September to 1st October)
- To be available and commit to training on the 18th and 19th September 2017.
- Unbridled enthusiasm and passion for the Students' Union.
Freshers volunteers also have the opportunity to apply for the GIAG Exec and become permanent Team Leaders on the Students' Union day and weekend trips. So if you fancy yourself travelling for free to cities around the UK and even beyond, take a look below!
Join the Give it a Go Exec Committee
You can find out who our current executive committee are here:
The Give it a Go Exec is made up of 12 - 15 GIAG Officers, drawn from the most passionate and committed GIAG Volunteers. They have the dedication and skills to make decisions as to how GIAG should be run. As well as taking on administrative responsibilities, officers are asked to manage and innovate a number of GIAG activities. They are also to team lead Students' Union Trips, keeping students safe and organising the itinerary. This is a fantastic experience and looks incredible to employers when they read it on your CV.
Give it a Go Officers have gone on to become sabbatical officers (including VP Societies, VP Welfare and VP Sports), student trustees of the Students' Union (heavily involved in the strategy of the SU), Alumni Relations staff for Cardiff University and even working in PR in London. So many things are possible if you only Give it a Go!
Officers all get:
- To be an upstanding part of the Give it a Go family.
- A Give it a Go Executive Officer Acredited Certificate, with Millenium Volunteer hours.
- A CV reference from the Students' Union.
- More free Give it a Go Clothing and Merchandise.
- Discounted places on Give it a Go Day Trips and Weekend Breaks.
- Access to free skills development and training courses including first aid training arranged and supplied by the Students' Union.
- Socials throughout the year including potential weekends away as a group
- A huge opportunity to make society and club contacts for elections etc.
Officers are asked for:
- 3 hours a week admin support on the Give it a Go desk.
- 1 hour a week General Meeting on Tuesday 6pm - 7pm.
- Direct Responsibility for 3-4 Give it a Go trips/activities each semester.
- Commitment to a the training programme organised and delivered by the Students' Union.
- Commitment to learn to drive Union vehicles (optional)
Being on the GIAG Exec is a commitment of at least four hours a week. It's a similar level of commitment to being the President of a club/society committee. We can be flexible with your hours but they will still need to be completed.