About My Role
Charlotte works as a direct liaison between the Union and the University on all non-academic issues in the best interests of students and represents your welfare needs to the University.
Shwmae everyone, I’m Charlotte Towlson, your Vice President Welfare and Campaigns!
I’m originally from China but I have grown up in England. I live in Bath where I completed my GCSE’s and A Levels. I studied History, Geography and Politics. I have just completed my second year of university during which I studied Modern History and Politics.
Studying at Cardiff has allowed me to have plenty of opportunities and make memories which I am thoroughly grateful for. I am a part of the university Lacrosse Club and Novice Rowing Squad which allowed me to meet a whole new range of people and take part in lots of new activities. Joining these clubs has allowed me to make many great memories. As a result, I will do everything I can to improve the welfare of each student to ensure everyone has a rewarding experience at university.
Student’s welfare is extremely important to me, as when I first started university, I found being placed in a new environment without the surrounding of family and friends quite a daunting experience. However, through forming friendships and taking every opportunity given to me, university has given me some of the best memories in my life. Because of my experiences, I am really excited for the role, and I will do everything I can to improve the welfare of each student at Cardiff University.
Please do not hesitate to get in touch for any questions or suggestions or even a quick chat! I’m always up for talking!
My main priorities for the year include:
- Increase an understanding of sexual harassment and PROVIDE a safe and accessible system for reporting incidents.
- IMPLEMENT welfare reps to each course to provide guidance and support the waiting times.
- INCREASE awareness of Counselling & Wellbeing services and reduce the waiting times.
- CREATE a support network for those who have been emotionally impacted by COVID.
- ESTABLISH group therapy sessions for healthcare students to open up about experiences that may have affected them on placement.
- SET UP a fact-based fair of housing agencies to inform students of accommodation options best suited for them.
- CONTINUE to engage with First Year Students and implement change to support their WELLBEING.
- LAUNCH campaigns to celebrate social and ethnic diversity and promote INCLUSION.