About My Role
The Ethical & Environmental Officer role is to represent students Ethical and Environmental interests and to campaign on any relevant issues.
Hi everyone, my name is Julia and I am delighted to be your Ethical and Environmental Officer! I’m from Szczecin in Poland (try pronouncing that!) and I’m currently studying in my third and final year of my Chemistry degree. I’ve always been extremely passionate about the environment and because of this I’m planning to do a Master’s in Environmental Science.
I started my involvement with the SU by taking part in the 2019 Welcome Team and have since joined the Advice and Welfare Executive Committee; thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it. In addition, I’m a member of the Ethical and Environmental Association – an eye-opening experience that led me to run for E&E Officer. Having spoken to so many students during the Campaign Week, I realised how much students care about the environment and as both the SU and the University have declared the climate emergency, it’s high time we act on it.
My main priorities for the year include:
- Introducing more water fountains across the campus.
- Introducing green walls across the campus.
- Introducing the reusable cup deposit scheme in the SU.
- Introducing more recycling bins, especially compositing bins in catering outlets and student accommodation.
- Organising fundraising events for Regrow Borneo.
- Organising the ‘Go Green’ week.