What is the Societies Executive Committee?
(Click on a heading to expand)
Members of the Societies Executive Committee will be responsible for supporting the Guild of Societies, helping to
triage queries, plan events and campaigns, and champion the student leadership that Societies harness. This is an unpaid
voluntary opportunity that will enable members to bring about huge change to the Guild by working with staff and Elected
Officers. Appropriate training will be provided.
- To provide administrative support to the Societies Coordinator and Vice President Societies, undertaking a weekly
- To attend weekly Executive Committee meetings with the Societies team.
- To assist in approving new Society applications and/or selecting Society of the Month with an unbiased and
impartial view, declaring any conflicts of interest where applicable.
- To assist with the planning and delivery of larger events and campaigns which include, but are not limited to:
- Showcases: Winter Showcase, Variety Night, Fringe Festival, Go Global
- Welsh Varsity, where applicable
- Societies Ball
- To follow all reasonable instructions provided by Societies and Activities Staff and relevant Sabbatical Officers.
- We ask that you ensure high standards of customer service, and maintain honest communications at all times when
dealing with students, society members and committee members at the Societies Desk.
- We ask you to ensure that all systems, policies and procedures are respected, with particular attention paid to
health and safety.
- While acting in this capacity, we ask that you follow all reasonable instructions provided by Students’ Union staff.
Training and Development
- The Union will provide appropriate training and development opportunities to allow you to dispense the duties of the
role. It is requested that you engage with those opportunities, including compulsory initial training before any shifts
are commenced. Regular feedback will be given while carrying out the role.
- To attend a weekly Executive Committee Meeting on Monday at 5:30 pm.
Health and Safety
- To respect and follow instructions from the Students’ Union Risk Assessment and ensure that the Union’s Health and
Safety Policy is adhered to at all times.
- To assist in ensuring the health and safety of students, suppliers and visitors to the Students’ Union where
- To follow instructions of Students’ Union fire wardens.
- To minimize any negative impact of the Students’ Union on the environment and support activity to promote sustainable
and carbon-neutral operations.
Values and Vision
- To promote equal opportunities and uphold the vision and values of the Students’ Union.
You can download the person specification here.
- We would ask that you contribute to the positive image of the Students’ Union.
- That you are aware that events may occasionally take place in the evenings outside of the 9:00-17:00 office hours.
- The role holder will be required to take on a minimum of one 3 hour shift on the Societies ‘hot-desk’ per week
during the University teaching semester.
- We would ask that the role holder will be enthusiastic about taking up extra training opportunities and engaging
proactively with the Activities Department as a whole.
- We would ask that the role holder actively participates within the Executive Committee with other members and
reasonably attends socials and team building sessions where scheduled
Apply To An Executive
Applications to join the Societies Executive Committee are now open!
Please log in to complete your application form!
Want to know more about what being a member of the Exec entails? Have a look at the role description here: English|Cymreag
Want to see what Orla's looking for? Take a look at the person specification here: English|Cymreag
The following questions have been devised to ensure we encompass a variety of views into the Societies Executive Committee. By providing this information, you consent to the Students' Union holding your information for purposes relevant to your application. You will not receive any other correspondence (i.e advertisements) unless you have already signed up to receive updates from the Students' Union.