You’ll notice that for many of our projects you’re required to obtain something called a DBS. Without the DBS check, you won’t be able to start on your project if it requires that you have one.
- A DBS (Disclosure and Barring Service) is a government check to see if you have any criminal convictions in the UK.
- International students will also require a criminal background check from their home country.
- More about international criminal background checks can be found here.
- Volunteers workings on a project with children/vulnerable adults require a criminal background check by law.
- Ensures safety of our beneficiaries and volunteers.
- Makes a safe and comfortable environment.
- DBS checks for volunteers are free.
- Pick up a form from the Volunteering Office, which is situated in the Skills Hub on the 2nd floor of the Students’ Union.
- Make sure you have all the required documentation and then come along to one of our DBS surgery sessions.
- Download our document checklist.
- You can also read about documents you’ll need here.
- The sooner you start the process the better.
- Checks take from 2-8 weeks after they are sent off.
- You won’t be able to start on a DBS project without your DBS.
- To get your DBS checked and sent off you must attend a DBS surgery with us. Dates, times and locations of these are below.
Your DBS certificate can take from 2-8 weeks to process, it will be delivered to your current address directly. It is really important that as soon as it arrives you bring it into the Cardiff Volunteering office so we can record the result.
If you have already applied for your DBS and you have a reference number you can track your application here
More information about the DBS process can be found the on the government website.
Before completing the DBS form please familiarise yourself with DBS Code of Practice
Anytime drop-in during quiet periods: December to August - Monday to Friday from 09:30am to 4pm, please note that during the festive and summer periods there may be fewer staff due to annual leave, so please be aware there may not always be someone in the office who can carry out DBS checks.
Please avoid dropping in between 12pm - 2pm as staff are likely to be taking a lunch break