Castell Coch & Caerphilly Day Trip
• Sun 10 March 2019 10:00-18:00
Your ticket includes entry into Castell Coch but not Caerphilly Castle, this will be an additional cost.
Calling all adventurers, ghost hunters, and students looking for a great day out! ‘Give it a Go’ invites you to our ‘Tale of Two Castles’ as we add some history to your 2019 by visiting two of the most iconic sites in Wales, Castell Coch and Caerphilly Castle.
We start our day at Castell Coch, a stunning mountainside castle that looks like it’s been ripped straight out of a fairytale. However, don’t be fooled, the current castle is a creation of the Victorian Bute family. Come marvel at this amazing vision of Medieval splendour as you travel through rooms decorated with scenes of myth and magic, and maybe take a photo or two.
If history and instagram aren’t your thing, why not spend your morning on the hunt for the lost treasure of Ifor Bach? Legend has it that his entire fortune is hidden deep below the castle and guarded by two magic stone eagles. (Quick reminder that our insurance doesn’t cover injuries sustained by fighting stone eagles)
We hope you’ve brought your flame-proof trousers, because next up on our adventure is Caerphilly Castle. Standing strong for over 700 years, the castle strikes a magnificent figure as the largest fortification in Wales and offers something for everyone!
This place literally defies gravity! With part of it achieving a greater slant than the Leaning Tower of Pisa, visitors will immediately be taken in by the architectural absurdity of Caerphilly Castle as you roam the 30 acres of the castle grounds.
HERE BE DRAGONS
As part of a massive investment, Caerphilly Castle is now home to a family of dragons. Sadly, as statues, they’re more likely to get a hundred likes on social media than to breathe fire. Or are they? According to urban legend, English tourists left alone with the dragons have been known to vanish without a trace. Are you brave enough to enter the Dragons’ Den?
For intrepid Sci-Fi fans, Caerphilly Castle has been a hot spot for Doctor Who filming for years. The Master himself was resurrected within the walls and alien Venetian vampires have stalked the halls!
Finally, passionate about the supernatural? We’ve got you covered! Keep your eyes peeled for the ghostly spectre of Caerphilly’s ‘Green Lady’ as she stalks the ramparts for her lost lover.
We will be dropping off and picking you up from both castles so feel free to do whatever you would like in the time you are there!
What do I need to bring?
This day trip is designed to be fairly easy-going! That said we would always strongly advice that all students/explorers be prepared and bring the following:
- Weather appropriate clothing
- Sturdy shoes or trainers
- Back pack
- A camera to snap some selfies
- At least two bottles of water
- Some money for souvenirs and snacks
We would also advise you to bring a small packed lunch.
Instructions for Ticket Holders
- Turn up at the back of the Students' Union (Senghenydd Road) at 09:45 for a 10:00 departure.
- Have your e-receipt and student card ready for inspection. Your e-receipt will be a barcoded email sent to you after you purchased your ticket. If you do not have your e-receipt we will search for you on our passenger list, but this may cause delays.
- Please be dressed appropriately for a cold and windy day outside.
- The coach will be leaving Castell Coch, at the drop off point, at 13:00 exactly to head to Caerphilly.
- The coach will leave Caerphilly at 17:00 exactly.
Our coaches will not wait for you if you are late. They will leave Cardiff Students' Union at 10am and Caerphilly at 5pm. If you miss the return coach you will have to utilise public transport options to return.
Terms and Conditions
Tickets, Cancelations, Refunds and Adverse Weather Conditions
- All tickets once sold are strictly non-refundable in all circumstances except where the trip is cancelled by CUSU.
- Adverse weather conditions which are held to jeopardise the safety of the trip, will result in the cancelation of the trip. Thereupon a full refund and options to reschedule will become available accordingly.
- The presence of precipitation, wind or unpleasant weather conditions will not automatically entitle participants to a refund. Sign ups must expect and be prepared for all aspects of British weather.
- Students must be on time at the meeting point or coach will leave without them. This is the case both leaving and returning.
Expected Conduct and Liabilities
- We're pretty laid back in the SU, but participants must observe the authority of the trip leader and follow all reasonable instructions. Our staff and guides are there to keep you safe!
- Failure to adhere to instructions given by CUSU staff and guides may trigger the University's disciplinary procedure.
- We advise against you taking expensive or sentimental belongings on these trips. CUSU cannot be held liable or responsible for any losses sustained to property however caused.
- Please disclose any and all medical conditions that may affect your ability to complete the trip. CUSU will do everything it possibly can to ensure its activities are as accessible as they can be to as many people as they can be - but our guides need to know what to expect before we leave Cardiff.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. What happens if it rains?
A. A bit of drizzle never hurt anyone. If it rains, assume the trip will go ahead unless we tell you otherwise. Cancelation will only be the last resort option. We'll cancel the trip if the trip leader decides that weather conditions are so severe as to jeopardise the safety of the participants.
Q. I've bought a ticket, but can't go anymore. Can I get a refund?
A. I'm afraid not. This is a non-refundable ticket. Please make sure you're free before you sign up
Q. How do I redeem my ticket?
A. When you purchase a ticket you will receive an email receipt of your purchase. Though not a physical ticket, this is what we use for admission to our trips and is entirely valid.
Please do not worry if it turns out you are unable to locate your e-receipt on the day as our guides will have a list of everyone who has purchased a ticket for the trip.