End of Year Waterfall Walk
SU, Senghennydd Rd. • Sun 17 June 2018 10:00-17:00
(Event photograph is Pontneddfechin by Richard Jones)
Our guides will be taking you from the small Welsh village of Pontneddfechan towards the beautiful waterfalls of the brecon beacons. Don't worry, we'll be stopping plenty for photo opportunity. There just can't be a better way to spend your Sunday than surrounded by magical waterfalls with team Give it a Go!
Our guides rate this walk as medium to hard level intensity. It will be fairly relaxed and straight forward, but you will need to keep up with the group.
(Photograph is Pontneddfechan by Richard Jones)
What should we expect during the Waterfall walk?
There are a number of beautiful waterfalls located just a short walk away from the small village of Pontneddfechan. Join us as we walk along the wonderful River Neath towards a number of these spectacular falls. You can get quite close to some of these, so make sure you bring a coat so you don't get wet! Overall you expect some fun times, amazing photo opportunities and a chance to make some brilliant new friends!
Your ticket includes all coach transport to and from the waterfalls in Pontneddfechan, together with the services of CUSU staff and student guides to keep you safe and keep you on track!
(Photograph is DSC07359 by Richard Jones)
What do I need to bring?
This walk is designed to be fairly straight forward. That said we would always strongly advice that all students/explorers be prepared and bring the following:
- Walking boots / strong waterproof trainers - it will potentially be muddy and slippy - sandals, flip flops, dolly shoes, slippers and similar shoes are NOT acceptable footwear
- A waterproof jacket or coat
- Plenty of light layers
- A rucksack
- At least two bottles of water
We would also advise you to bring a small packed lunch, even if you plan on buying food in one of the local pubs.
Suncream, a sunhat and a light waterproof mac are also quite useful to have in your back pack.
(Photograph is DSC07343 by Richard Jones)
What's the Itinerary for the day?
The coaches will be leaving very strictly from the back of the Students' Union building at 10am. We're aiming to be back no later than 5pm.
It's designed to be a fairly straight forward day, with no particular rush and plenty of breaks to accommodate walking abilities.
- 10am Leave from the back of CUSU, Cardiff City Centre
- 11am Arrive at Pontneddfechan, Brecon
We'll make our way when we're ready from the village of Pontneddfechan towards the waterfalls. We’ll stop several times through the walk for photos and some snacks!
- 4pm Leaving Pontneddfechan, Brecon
- 5pm Arriving CUSU, Cardiff City Centre
(Photograph is Untitled by Richard Jones)
Terms and Conditions
Tickets, Cancelations, Refunds and Adverse Weather Conditions
- All tickets once sold are strictly non-refundable and non transferable in all circumstances except where the walk is canceled by CUSU.
- Adverse weather conditions which are held to jeopardise the safety of the trip, will result in the cancelation of the trip. Thereupon a full refund and options to reschedule will become available accordingly.
- The presence of precipitation, wind or unpleasant weather conditions will not automatically entitle participants to a refund. Sign ups must expect and be prepared for all aspects of British weather.
- Students must be on time at the meeting point or coach will leave without them. This is the case both leaving and returning.
Expected Conduct and Liabilities
- We're pretty laid back in the SU, but participants must observe the authority of the trip leader and follow all reasonable instructions. Our staff and guides are there to keep you safe!
- Failure to adhere to instructions given by CUSU staff and guides may trigger the University's disciplinary procedure.
- We advise against you taking expensive or sentimental belongings on these trips. CUSU cannot be held liable or responsible for any losses sustained to property however caused.
- Please disclose any and all medical conditions that may affect your ability to complete the walk. CUSU will do everything it possibly can to ensure its activities are as accessible as they can be to as many people as they can be - but our guides need to know what to expect before we leave Cardiff.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Is this a difficult walk?
A. Depending on the conditions, it can be. Our guide has classified this walk as being medium - hard ability. The route is suitable for students who are fit and able.
Q. What happens if it rains?
A. A bit of drizzle never hurt anyone. If it rains, assume the walk will go ahead unless we tell you otherwise. We may explore alternative routes, or decide to shorten the walk if necessary, but cancellation will only be the last resort option. We'll cancel the walk if the trip leader decides that weather conditions are so severe as to jeopodise the safety of the participants.
Q. Are trainers okay for this walk?
A. You may be able to get away with reasonable quality trainers, though we would always say walking boots would be the best option. Do not turn up in sandals, flip flops, dolly shoes, slippers or anything like that.
Q. I have very mild asthma and/or some allergies, should I mention that when I sign up?
A. Yes please.