“I like this place and could willingly waste my time in it”
- As you like it, William Shakespeare
Though this quote is about the magical forest of Arden, we like to think that Shakespeare would have said the same about his hometown, because we certainly would!
The lively main street is surrounded by timber-frame buildings and taverns – you can even imagine how Shakespeare would recognise some of his old surroundings today. Visit his birthplace to hear tales of family life and get up close to objects from the Trust’s world class collections. Or perhaps take a 30-minute walk from the centre and you’ll find yourself at Anne Hathaway’s (his wife’s) delightful cottage, positioned in traditional gardens and orchards, where 13 generations of the same family lived!
But Shakespeare isn’t all Stratford-Upon-Avon has going for it. Situated on the River Avon, river boats will cruise you up the river to take in the English countryside and spot the riverside wildlife. And if you fancy something more exotic, the UK’s largest butterfly farm has got you covered. With hundreds of butterflies living in a waterfall and tropical plant filled paradise, this is a beautiful escape and an even better photo opportunity.
Important Information and Summary of Terms & Conditions
This is a summary of the terms & conditions for Give it a Go trips. Full terms and conditions can be found here: https://www.cardiffstudents.com/activities/give-it-a-go/faq/ Please note that in the case of any discrepancies, the terms & conditions on this page overrule the full terms & conditions.
- The times listed on the event are from when the coach will leave the Student Union in the morning, until an approximate arrival back to Cardiff. Arrival times back are subject to traffic, weather and road conditions, which are beyond our control, so we cannot guarantee exact time of arrival.
- The trips will go ahead regardless of weather conditions, so please do come prepared. This excludes extreme or dangerous weather, where we would of course cancel for your safety. In this event you would be offered the option between a full refund or a rescheduled date (where it is possible to reschedule).
- All Give it a Go events are non-refundable. When you sign up we pay your money directly to the coach company and/or the attraction, so are bound by refund rules ourselves. In the very rare case a trip needs to be cancelled by us, you will of course receive a full refund (or opportunity to transfer to another trip if you preferred).
- If you can no longer attend the trip, there may be the opportunity to transfer you tickets to another trip. This will be done on a case by case basis by the activities team and is not guaranteed. There will be a £5 admin fee to change trips, plus the difference in price if the trip you are transferring to costs more than the original ticket cost. Requests to transfer tickets after 3pm on the last working day before the trip will not granted. To enquire about transferring your ticket, please email email@example.com with your name, student number, the trip that you’d like transferring from and the trip you’d like to be transferred to and we will try our best to assist.
- If you will not be catching the return coach, please let your trip leader know. If you will not be catching the outbound coach, please email firstname.lastname@example.org no later than Friday at 5pm before the trip. If you do not do this, your seat may be forfeited.
Image Credit: David Roberts on Pexels