Overseas Students

If you have a Student or Tier 4 (General) Student visa then you can usually work part-time during your studies. The wording on your visa, either on the Entry Clearance sticker in your passport or in the “Remarks” section on you Biometric Residence Permit will state your work conditions. You must check this carefully.

You can work if your visa states that you can. Your visa will usually outline one of the following statements:

  • Work (and any changes) must be authorised
  • Able to work as authorised by the Secretary of State
  • Work as in Tier 4 Rules
  • Restricted Work. P/T term time. F/T vacations
  • Restricted work term time
  • Work limited to max 20 hrs per week during term-time
  • Work limited to max 10 hrs per week during term-time

You cannot work if your visa has one of these statements:

  • No work,
  • Work prohibited.

During term time you must not work for more than 10 or 20 hours a week, depending on the wording on your visa.

More information on this can be found here.