Student Academic Reps

What is a Student Academic Representative?

A Student Academic Rep is a volunteer student who voices the comments, concerns and questions of their course to their School. Their role is to gather feedback from their course and take that to Student Staff Panels (SSPs) and Boards of Study to ensure the student voice is taken seriously at every level.

In total there are nearly 1,000 Student Academic Reps across Cardiff University representing some 28,000 students.   

Become a Rep 

Reps play an integral part in improving the academic standards and quality of teaching at Cardiff University and we are always looking for new recruits. No prior experience is required; all we ask for is your enthusiasm and an open mind. The Student Voice team in the Students’ Union provide you with training, so you will be prepared for your role. 

If you are interested feel free to contact and the Student Voice team can put you in contact with your school Student Rep Coordinators. Alternatively, you can contact your School office and they will be able to give you details these details.

What’s in it for me?

As postgraduates your educational needs are often specialised and require particular attention. So by becoming a Rep you can take hold of your education and help shape your course.

Being a Rep is a perfect opportunity to engage with students in your line of research and study, you’ll meet plenty of people along the way. You’ll get a chance to build networks with University staff and help you engage with senior academics.

Get involved, become a student academic rep!

Any Questions? Contact: Jake – Vice President Postgraduate Students via email at, or on Twitter and Facebook

Use Your Rep

What type of issues does a Student Academic Rep deal with?

Student Academic Reps can feed back any positive or negative comments you may have about your School, subject or module through attending Student Staff Panels which occur on average once a semester. As a result of being trained to signpost students to the relevant people, Student Academic Reps are also great sources of information regarding the various services Cardiff University and the Students’ Union has to offer.

How do I contact my Student Academic Representative?

If you have feedback on your course that you want to pass onto your Student Academic Rep you can log onto and use the ‘Find My Rep’ feature. Alternatively you can email or pop into the Students’ Union on the third floor. You might also receive emails from your Representative asking for feedback.

How do I find out more?



Facebook: Cardiff Student Voice